Green roofs are roofs that are substantially covered with living plants. Wallbarn can help provide you with the supplies & expertise to help you construct your very own DIY green roof.
A DIY green roof comes with many benefits such as -
- DIY green roofs are energy-efficient. They are cool in the summer and can be as effective as white roofs in reducing the urban heat island effect. The thermal mass of the soil reduces heat gain and loss by isolating the building from temperature extremes.
- DIY green roofs are visually attractive & have the ability to turn urban wastelands into urban gardens.
- DIY green roofs can extend the longevity of a roof membrane by two to three times, according to the industry association, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities. By shielding the waterproofing from the sun and reducing temperature swings, synthetic membranes can last fifty years and more.
- The plants the you have on your green roof will help improve air quality by removing pollutants from the air, which is obviously a very important enviromental advantage.
- A DIY green roof even has the potential to make you feel happier! Research suggests that having a view of nature can reduce stress, blood pressure and muscle tension.
Although the structural, waterproofing, and drainage requirements of a green roof will make them more expensive than bare roofs in the short term, green roofs offer significant long-term economical and environmental advantages that more than justify the higher initial cost. Installing your own DIY green roof can also help reduce the cost as opposed to having someone else install a green roof for you.
If you need any help or advice on the supply of materials we are here to help you.
Currently browsing: DIY Green Roof