Green roofs and living walls are a great way of providing an attractive, useful, environmentally friendly open space on an otherwise ‘lost’ flat roof or podium deck.
They have benefits, some not always considered by developers, including:-
- Improving the local environment by providing wildlife habitats
- Improving sound and thermal insulation
- Reducing the amount and speed of rainwater run-off by around 50% and forming part of a SUDS design
- Reducing the “heat island” effect in built up areas and helping to improve air quality and environment
- Protecting the structure and waterproofing systems from UV, impact and abrasion, plant and bird infestation on the membrane Ballasting inverted waterproofing systems
- Optimising the structural footprint by providing extra space and an attractive natural area in often high density
developments Making the planning process a lot easier Increasing the value of the development
Green roofs are becoming an increasingly popular and important flat roof design in the UK. Traditionally more common in Europe, green roofs are now seen as a major part of how contractors build and present flat spaces. A green roof is a roof consisting of various waterproofing and drainage layers topped with soil and plants. The plants can either be planted by hand on top of the roof, or you can buy ready made ‘blankets’ of vegetation that you simply roll out.
Green roofs are a great way of providing an attractive, useful, environmentally friendly open space on an otherwise ‘lost’ flat roof or podium deck.
There are a range of techniques to help develop a green roof & at Wallbarn we will provide you with advice & materials which will help this development. These include drainage materials, substrates & a choice of plant materials. For each green roof project, your choice of materials will be governed by different site conditions and your aims and motives. Therefore, if you are planning to build a green roof, it is very important that you have a good understanding of what exactly you are trying to achieve. At Wallbarn we can help you construct a green roof that will be exactly what you want it to be.