Protection & Drainage
Protection board for use with bituminous waterproofing membranes
- Semi-flexible board made from a mixture of fibres saturated with 75% bitumen
- Protects waterproofing and damp-proofing membranes from abrasion by backfill, site traffic, ground movement or mechanical damage
- Ideal for horizontal and vertical applications
- Completely waterproof and rot proof, providing significant impact and abrasion protection
More about our ProtectoBoard:
- Can tolerate direct contact with hot liquids. Can be spot bonded
- Covered both sides by a polythene film to prevent boards sticking together during storage
- Easy and safe to handle, no risk of bitumen bleed
- Ideal for vertical applications when bonded to the structure with no risk of water, dust or other particles passing through the joints and onto the membrane beneath
- Can be fixed by butting joints together and securing with spot bond adhesive or taping over joints with strong double-sided bitumen tape (for horizontal decks)
- Can be cut and shaped around objects like outlets and upstands
Protecto-board is loose laid over the compatible membrane and either covered straight away with another layer, pressed into the still tacky heated membrane or spot bonded using compatible adhesive on part of the membrane
Protecto-board can also be installed by butting the boards together and covering the joints with strong bitumen tape
Protecto-board is particularly useful for cutting and shaping around details such as outlets and upstands.
Protecto-board can be fixed to the vertical plane by torch bonding to the surface beneath, mechanically fixing or by securing with strong double-sided bitumen Protecto-tape.
This is useful for temporary protection, where areas need to be guarded against following trades, and the boards taken up at a later date if required
Wallbarn Bituminous Protecto-board is supplied in full pallet loads. Each pallet measures 2m x 1m x 1m and weighs 1,400kg; so specialised heavy lifting equipment is required onsite to receive consignments. 3mm thick boards have 200 sheets per pallet; 6mm thick boards have 100 sheets per pallet as standard.
Protecto-board should be stored out of direct sunlight. The boards will soften if exposed to heat for prolonged periods and if they come into contact with hot membranes at temperatures above 150ºC.
This semi-flexible board is a convenient way to ensure adequate protection of waterproofing membranes against damage caused by site traffic, mechanical damage and ground settlement.
Made from a mixture of fibres saturated with at least 75% bitumen, Wallbarn Bituminous Protecto-board is completely waterproof and provides superior impact and abrasion resistance.
It is covered both sides by a polythene film, meaning it can be used on surfaces not normally compatible with bitumen. The film avoids the bitumen bleeding onto other surfaces or the boards sticking together during storage.
Our Bituminous Protecto-boards are ideal for vertical applications. They can also be heated with a blow torch and fixed to the substrate – the bitumen softening temporarily and bonding to it – so that the entire surface of the Protecto-board is comprehensively adhered.
By being bonded there is no risk of water, dust or other particles passing through the joints and onto the membrane beneath.
It can be easily cut using a sharp knife and shaped around particular corners and details. This is very useful for protecting membranes around things such as outlets and upstands.
Wallbarn Bituminous Protecto-board is also fixed by butting the joints together and securing with a spot bond adhesive (on verticals) or taping over the joints with a strong double sided bitumen tape (for horizontal decks).
This is useful for temporary protection, where areas need to be guarded against following trades, and the boards took up at a later date if required.
These boards are completely waterproof and rot proof. They can be immersed in water without risk of delaminating or compromising their performance.
We supply Wallbarn Bituminous Protecto-board in pallets of 200 sheets as standard.
It is recommended that they are stored out of direct sunlight. The boards will soften if they come into contact with hot membranes at temperatures above 150ºC.
|PROPERTIES||TEST METHOD||UNITS||TYPICAL VALUES|
|Dimensions||EN 1848-1||m||2 x 1m||2 x 1m|
|Mass per units area||EN 1849-1||kg/m2||4.09||8.34|
|Resistance to static loading (method A)||EN 12730||kg||25||25|
|Resistance to impact||EN12691||mm||>700||>700|
|Puncture Resistance||ASTM E – 154||N/mm||1,474N / 37mm||1,497N / 34mm|
|Watertightness to water||kPa||>400|